Today’s Leibniz Institute for Farm Animal Biology was founded on 29 January 1993 under the name “Research Institute for the Biology of Farm Animals” (FBN) based in Dummerstorf and Rostock as a public-law foundation of the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.
The institution therefore has an agricultural history. Back in 1939, the renowned Kaiser-Wilhelm Institute for Animal Breeding Research was inaugurated in Dummerstorf. After World War II, the Agricultural Science Academy of the GDR continued the site’s tradition by establishing the Institute for Animal Breeding Research in 1952. In addition, the Oskar-Kellner Institute for Animal Nutrition was relocated from Leipzig to Rostock in 1954. Finally, the institute was combined with the Oskar-Kellner Institute in Rostock and the Clausberg Institute for Animal Breeding and Husbandry in 1970 to form the Research Centre for Animal Production Dummerstorf-Rostock that represented leading agricultural research in the GDR with this constellation until 1990. This institution employed around 1,300 people until it was dissolved under the Unification Treaty of 1990.
Following an evaluation by the scientific council in 1991, Dummerstorf became the site of the Institute for Animal Breeding as part of the State Research Institute for Agriculture and Fishery Mecklenburg-Vorpommern in 1992. Admission to the Leibniz Association followed in 1993.
The FBN Dummerstorf newly founded in 1993 uses most of the historic properties and carries on the tradition of the research site to this day. It is supported by the federation and the states through the non-profit foundation under public law.
In December of 2009, it was renamed to the Leibniz Institute for Farm Animal Biology by a unanimous decision of the Mecklenburg-Vorpommern state parliament.
As of 2018